Led by our skilled dentist, Dr. Jeevan Ghatnekar, our dental team is committed to preventing tooth decay and providing early, effective treatment. As part of this effort, we utilize digital dental X-rays in Irvine, California to help us diagnose certain conditions and help you understand the state of your smile.
What are digital Dental X-Rays?
More formally known as digital radiography, digital dental X-rays are taken during your first visit to our office and during subsequent visits as we deem necessary. Dental X-rays are done to:
- Find problems in the mouth such as tooth decay, damage to the bones supporting the teeth, and dental injuries (such as broken tooth roots). Dental X-rays are often done to find these problems early, before any symptoms are present.
- Find teeth that are not in the right place or do not break through the gum properly. Teeth that are too crowded to break through the gums are called impacted.
- Find cysts, solid growths (tumors), or abscesses.
- Check for the location of permanent teeth growing in the jaw in children who still have their primary (or baby) teeth.
- Plan treatment for large or extensive cavities, root canal surgery, placement of dental implants, and difficult tooth removals.
- Plan treatment of teeth that are not lined up straight (orthodontic treatment).
How are digital X-Rays taken?
Digital X-rays use electronic sensors to take high-quality images of your teeth, gums, and jawbone. Compared to traditional dental radiography, digital X-rays provide a number of important benefits. Digital X-rays emit less radiation, making them safer for your smile. The images taken by digital X-rays are also quickly available on our computer monitors. This allows us to share with you comprehensive information about your smile and what needs to be done to improve your oral health.For more information about the benefits of digital X-rays, please contact a member of our friendly dental team today. We are happy to answer all of your questions!